Monday, March 12, 2012

"She's Not That Married!..."

"Was there a rapture of love that I don't know about? Has the God of love left me behind with all the more earthly people? Was I not worthy? Are we in purgatory?" Those are the words of my coworker following a conversation that left me feeling awkward to say the least. I can't make this stuff up. So I'm at work today and we're doing a little chit chatting when one of my coworker says to myself and the woman standing with us  "Did you see Denzel in his new movie? He's so handsome, he doesn't age." The other coworker responds "Oh i'm married" Mind you the other woman is too. So, in a confused tone of voice coworker #1 replies, "Yes, I know, I am too. Co-worker 2 says "yea I don't see anyone past my husband." Please be mindful that this is Denzel Washington we are talking about, not the mail guy, not the head of surgery; Denzel!  I'm in the observation period being that I am the new girl, which means I'm watching everybody and everybody is watching me. I'm a neutral party when it comes to all situations at this point.
While I may be good at biting my tongue Im not as good with hiding my facial expressions. So with widen eyes and a slightly titled head; I reply in the most professional and friendly voice possibly, "Thats really sweet, how long have you been married?" She replies, "I've been married 10 years." Before I could get another word out co-worker #1 belts out. "Ten years and, you've never looked at Denzel?!" She goes on to ask co-worker 2 a series of retocical questions. "Well Did you see Malcolm X?" "-Yes" "Did you see Devil in a blue dress?" "-Yes" "I know you saw training day, right?" -"Yes." "and your telling me you never looked at Denzel?! Child I go to the movies by myself if Denzel is staring in it."  Coworker #2 looked at her with the upmost most disgust and says  "Yep, I've been married 10 years" and walked away. In my head I could hear the screech from the microphone as she dropped it on her way off the stage *laughing*.  I had to press my lips together as tight as possible to keep my jaw from dropping.  I thought to myself, this is a prime example of how differently women view what is acceptable and unacceptable in their relationships. I mean this woman could not believe that another married woman was raving about the looks of another man. These two women had to be between 45-55. In an effort to try to turn a embarrassing and awkward situation around coworker # 1 says, "Was there a rapture of love that I don't know about? Has the God of love left me behind with all the more earthly people? Was I not worthy? I mean God,  Are we in purgatory? She's not that married!" She gestured as if she was looking for me to cosign her opinion. I quickly replied. "I haven't seen Safe House yet"

My fiancé' and I were cracking up when I told him this story. It may have just been due to my mocking tone of voice designated for each party involved along with the facial expressions though. Anyway, I had to share this story with you guys!

2 comments:

  1. Very funny! Man listen I aint that soon to be married lol DENZEL? Nah son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I didn't want to take sides but Denzel....I was like she's talking Malcolm X Denzel....training Denzel......... I guess love really is blind.

    ReplyDelete